Thursday, September 22, 2011

recieved in an email by ben olam haba...

I just heard a funny quote yesterday. "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my
sleep, like my grandpa, not screaming in terror, like the passengers in his car."

Yup, it's funny. I laugh every time I think of it. But it got me thinking about
it. Did you ever think dying could be a blessing? No, I didn't either. But there
are so many ways one could die- in a car accident, in a war, in a mugging, in a
hospital- or safely in one's bed, at the end of a long and peaceful life, satisfied
with your many accomplishments and all the little joys Hashem has given you.

All those people you've heard of who've R"L passed away young, suffered through
terrible illness, died violently... did you ever take a minute after those stories
to close your eyes and think, "Baruch Hashem that wasn't me. Thank you, Hashem,
for sparing me. Thank you for giving me the chance to keep on living my life, and
allowing me to perhaps die peacefully in my sleep, in the far-away future, instead
of suffering a terrible death like this person did, R'L."

And then- if we can be thankful for something like that, surely we can find so many
other things that are way easier to be thankful for! The fact we woke up this morning
and could sit up, move our hands and feet, get dressed on our own and feed ourselves-
how many people unfortunately cannot do even that? The fact that we are surrounded
by family and friends who love us and care for us and worry about us and are there
for us when we need it, the fact that we have a warm home to live in, with walls
around us and a sturdy roof over our heads, the fact that we have something to
eat and something to wear- and plenty of each- how many, many people in this world
cannot say this? How many people do not have a tenth of what we take for granted
each and every day?

Thinking of this each day makes me so grateful for everything I have, so happy in
what Hashem has given me. What right do I have to be upset when parking takes a
little longer than I'd like, or when my kid spills her juice on the floor, or when
my neighbor knocks over my garbage can yet again when he pulls out of the driveway?
These are such minor, minor things in the course of life- I'm so lucky I have a
kid, I have a car, I have a house and a neighbor and a driveway... Hashem has given
me a multitude of brachos and I just need to remember that each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment