Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Believing In People

From Kindness: Making a Difference in People's Lives: Formulas, stories, and insights
By Zelig Pliskin
Printed with Permission of Shaar Press
DEPRESSION
The author heard these stories from students:

"No one ever believed in me. Because of this I was never able to believe in myself," an elderly man complained about how his life had never amounted to much.

I wasn't a very successful student throughout my school years. But my mother kept telling me, "I believe in you. One day you will succeed." And I did. Way beyond anyone besides my mother ever thought I would. Her belief in me was a guiding light. I owe her everything.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I always wanted to be a writer. When I said this, most people laughed at me. ``You don't have the talent to be a writer,'' is what I heard.

But then one day I confided in an experienced writer. "I'm embarrassed to say this because of the way others have reacted. I want to be a successful writer. Deep down I feel that one day I will fulfill my dream."

"Could you please bring me some examples of your writing," she said.

I did. And this was the best thing that ever happened to me in my life. She pointed out some great sentences that I had written. "You still need a lot of practice and a lot of coaching. But I assure you that you'll make it big if you keep up your determination. Once you learn the craft, you'll excel."

And I did. Ever since I look out for every opportunity to encourage other writers. That is my biggest pleasure in life.


Believe in people and you will influence them to believe in themselves. Your belief needs to be based on reality. So develop an eye for noticing even sparks of ability that can be developed. Be enthusiastic in selling a person to himself.

Believe in youngsters and they will grow up with your belief as their internalized belief.

Believe in people who are starting out on a new venture and you will give them the courage they need to persevere. All beginnings are difficult, and your encouragement might just be what they need to withstand the inevitable storms and waves.

Believe in people's ability to make positive changes. Believe in people's ability to create a joyous life for themselves. And believe in your own ability to effectively change people by believing in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment