Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Short Vort: The Price

Many of us have been following closely the supposed progress being made in the negotiations to free Gilad Shalit. Obviously the question being considered is how many potential terrorists should be released for the life of one Jewish young man.

It us obviously beyond the purview of The Short Vort to decide this difficult question; however, some thoughts are in order.

The thoughts which are in order are what is the lesson for us?
Meaning, we certainly should be davening each and every day for the release of Gilad, however, what can we learn from the entire process?

The lesson for all us is: Freedom; how precious it is.
When I think of Gilad, I think of a young man 23 years old who has lost over three years of his life.
I remember well when I first heard of his being taken captive; the Daf Yomi was learning Massechta Brochus!
I think of all the Torah and Mitzvohs I have been able to learn and teach during those three years.
I think of the Simchos we have had and of the simple joy of being able to go where I want to go when I want to.
All of these and more have been taken away from Gilad.

I think about my ability to communicate with whom I want to, when I want to.
I think about my ability to express my words and thoughts in free way and in an unrestricted manner; all of these and more have been denied to Gilad.

What do you want to eat for breakfast today?
What do you want for lunch and for dinner?
Gilad has never been allowed to eat what he wants and where he wants for over three years.
Do we appreciate the freedom we have each and every minute of our lives?

We say in the morning Brochus: Matir Assurim – Hashem, You free those who are imprisoned.
Every day we are freed from the prison of sleep and we are allowed to choose to do what we want to do, when we want to do it.
May Hashem allow Gilad ben Aviva to have that same choice speedily.
In the meantime, think and daven for Gilad ben Aviva; and appreciate your freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment