Monday, June 28, 2010

Rav Ehrman- applying karbanos to our lives!!

- i know he has his own blog but i found this on yutorah-

I think that the good and the great are only separated by the willingness to sacrifice.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar


We are now entering the nine days when we mourn the destruction of the Beis Hamikdash. Mourning?? Well, when was the last time you ran into someone and asked how things are. "Lousy" , he answers. "I was at the zoo today and I saw a sheep and I got sooooo depressed because all I wanted to do was bring it as a sacrifice in the Beis Hamikdash." Or how about this line:" I am so excited that we are starting to read Sefer Vayikra so that once again we can learn hilchos korbanos. Which innards go on the mizbeach and which don't. How to separate the head of a bird from the rest of its body. How many times to sprinkle the blood on the mizbeach for the various korbanos. EXCITING!!" How many people say korbanos in the morning before davening? How many people who DO say it are actually excited about it?

So sweetest friends, the problem is, how can we get excited about the prospect of once again bringing korbanos.

If one sees a korban as some animal going on an altar and being burned – well then, that is not so meaningful for me [unless I am an animal rights activist…]. But let's say one puts on the glasses of the Ramban. That every person has an animalistic part to them [called in Kabbalah the "Nefesh HaBehemis"] and the animal going on the mizbeach represents ME. I am sacrificing myself to Hashem. Now we are talking!! Ribbono Shel Olam, you have given me everything. You are the Source Of All Being and I would GLADLY give myself completely over to you. But you are a merciful G-d and do not desire human sacrifice, so all you require is that I sacrifice this animal as a mere representation of myself. This will atone for my sins and bring me closer to the Source Of All Good. That is why a korban is composed of "karev nun" – it brings us close to the fiftieth gate of wisdom which according to the gemara in Rosh Hashana, eluded even Moshe Rabbeinu.

The idolators also used to bring sacrifices in their temples but we know that their religions were also the source of moral corruption. Rav Kook explains that we sacrifice specifically in the Beis Hamikdash, which represents the INTELLECT, as that is where the Sanhedrin sat. We are not only giving our flesh over to G-d but our intellect as well. We elevate our entire beings to Hashem resulting in an increased level of Kedusha. That is why it is called the Beis HAMIKDASH – The House Of Holiness. One must be pure in order to enter and when one leaves he has risen many rungs on the spiritual ladder to Heaven. Indeed the Zohar says that the Beis Hamikdash is the place where heaven and earth kiss.

May we merit speedily in our days to feel the closeness and intimacy with Hashem that is only possible in His home – Habayis Hashlishi habanui litiferes biyerushaliyim masos kol ha'aretz.

AMEN!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment